Bronx Premises Liability Lawyers
Aggressive, Innovative Legal Representation in the Bronx
When you enter someone else's property, you expect it to be safe. Unfortunately, accidents happen, and injuries can occur due to hazardous conditions or neglect. If you or a loved one has suffered an injury on another person's property, you may have a premises liability claim.
At Wolf & Fuhrman LLP, our experienced Bronx premises liability lawyers are committed to helping victims seek the compensation they deserve. We understand the complexities of New York premises liability laws and are prepared to fight for your rights.
What is Premises Liability in New York?
Premises liability refers to the legal responsibility of property owners to maintain a safe environment for individuals on their premises. When a property owner fails to uphold this duty and injuries occur, they may be held liable for damages.
In New York, premises liability cases often hinge on the concept of negligence. To establish a premises liability claim, the injured party typically needs to prove:
- Duty of Care: The property owner owed a duty of care to the injured party.
- Breach of Duty: The property owner breached that duty by failing to maintain a safe environment.
- Causation: The breach of duty directly caused the injuries sustained.
- Damages: The injured party suffered damages, such as medical expenses, lost wages, or pain and suffering.
Who is Liable in a Premises Liability Case?
Determining liability in a premises liability case depends on various factors, including the nature of the property and the circumstances surrounding the injury. Potential parties that may be held liable include:
- Property Owners: Owners of residential or commercial properties have a duty to ensure that their premises are reasonably safe for visitors.
- Landlords: If the property is rented, the landlord may be held responsible for certain maintenance and safety issues.
- Business Operators: Owners and operators of businesses are responsible for ensuring that their premises are safe for customers and guests.
- Government Entities: In some cases, injuries on public property may lead to a claim against a government entity if negligence can be proven.
Common Premises Liability Claims
Premises liability claims can arise from various situations. Some of the most common types of premises liability claims include:
- Slip and Fall Accidents: Due to wet floors, uneven surfaces, or inadequate lighting.
- Trip and Fall Accidents: Caused by hazards such as uneven sidewalks, debris, or poor maintenance.
- Negligent Security: Inadequate security measures leading to assaults or criminal activities.
- Elevator and Escalator Accidents: Malfunctions or lack of proper maintenance.
- Dog Bites: Injuries caused by unrestrained or aggressive dogs on the premises.
How a Premises Liability Attorney Can Help
Navigating a premises liability case can be challenging, especially when dealing with property owners and their insurance companies. A skilled premises liability attorney can provide invaluable assistance by:
- Investigating the Incident: Conducting a thorough investigation to determine liability and gather evidence.
- Assessing Damages: Calculating the full extent of your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Negotiating with Insurers: Engaging in negotiations with insurance companies to seek a fair settlement.
- Litigating in Court: Filing a lawsuit and representing your interests in court if a fair settlement cannot be reached.
At Wolf & Fuhrman LLP, we are committed to helping victims of premises liability incidents secure the compensation they deserve.
Contact us today for a confidential consultation with our experienced Bronx premises liability lawyers.