Wet floor signs in front of steps

Who is Liable for my Slip and Fall Accident?

After sustaining injuries from a fall, the property owner is likely to be held liable for treatment or any other associated damages, but sometimes this isn't always the case. Depending on the details of the incident, these types of accidents are typically classified under premises liability claims.

What is Premises Liability?

Premises liability claims are filed when an injury occurs due to slipping/tripping and falling on someone else's unsafe property. Unsafe property conditions could include any of the following:

  • Uneven stairs
  • Food or liquid spills
  • Improper waxing
  • Items in the walkway (ie. extension cords)
  • Broken tiles
  • Tricked in water or snow
  • Rolled rugs or torn carpet
  • Inadequate or poor lighting
  • Potholes or broken pavement in parking lots

Who Is Liable?

To have a successful premises liability case, the injured party must be able to prove negligence, which can be challenging at times. Typically, negligence means the property owner failed to use reasonable care while maintaining their property. You must contact an attorney after experiencing a slip and fall injury. They will be a great resource for knowing your legal options based on the specifics of your case. When determining liability, they will investigate factors such as:

  • If the property owner was aware of the hazard (or should have been aware) but was negligent in failing to fix, clean, or adequately warn you of it.
  • Your presence on the property is foreseeable
  • The owner's negligence was the cause of your fall

Contact a Lawyer

If you or someone you know has been injured in a slip and fall accident, you should contact a skilled professional. In premise liability cases, it's important that you move quickly to avoid property owners arguing that your injuries took place somewhere else. A lawyer will get the necessary documentation promptly to help support your case.

If you think you have a possible premises liability case and want to seek a professional's opinion, call us today. We are dedicated to helping you receive the compensation you deserve. Contact or office at , or visit our website to schedule your free consultation with one of our award-winning attorneys.